Scientific InquiryTeachers: Please complete a registration for each project you are sending to the STEM and History Expo.
Definition: Scientific Inquiry is the basic experimentation category and covers Scientific Methodology, Research, Hypothesis, Experiment Design, Data Collection and Analysis.
This is a competitive category for students in grades 5-12. Up to six students in grades 6-12 are selected to represent Tuolumne County at the State Science Fair. This is a non-competitive category for students in grades TK-4. Teacher recommendation is required.
Requirements: A successful Scientific Inquiry entry must have the following:
- Scientific method must be utilized
- Ask a testable question
- Research the topic
- Make a hypothesis about the outcome based on the research or their own knowledge
- Design the investigation
- Conduct the investigation
- Collect Data
- Make sense of the data and draw a conclusion
- Present their findings for peer review
- Tri-fold display must address all elements of scientific method, must include visuals
- Project display must be viewer friendly and safe
- Students must submit the following: Visual display, notebook and abstract (forms are located in the handbook)
Additional judging is based on the following:
- The scientific method shows completeness of thought and cause and effect are clearly explained
- The Inquiry relates to broader scientific principles, real world applications
- The idea for investigation is original or innovative
- The procedure, materials, trial length, etc. are innovative or creative in approach