Special Education Local Plan Area (SELPA)
Tuolumne County’s SELPA is dedicated to the belief that all students can learn and contribute in the least restrictive educational and community settings. We believe that students with disabilities must be guaranteed equal opportunity to become contributing members of society. Our goal is to facilitate high-quality educational programs and services for students through training for parents and educators.
The SELPA responsibility is met through a network of cooperative agreements among districts and agencies. The SELPA Office coordinates this network and provides a focal point for the student/family seeking information and services.
The Tuolumne County SELPA is committed to providing our districts with technical assistance and support that aligns with state and federal laws, informs best practices, and assures that all regionalized operations and services are provided in accordance with the Local Plan.
Other SELPA responsibilities include such things as:
- Work with member districts to develop a Local Plan, a fiscal Allocation Plan, and annual Budget and Service Plans
- Assure that special education funds are distributed to member districts in accordance with our Allocation Plan
- Assist with Alternate Dispute Resolution and Mediation
- Community Advisory Committee Support
- Provide student data to the state through the California Longitudinal
- Pupil Achievement Data System (CALPADS)
- Complete state-mandated reports on various special education personnel, program, and fiscal matters
- Assist the districts in remaining compliant with all federal and state special education laws and codes
- Assist the districts in their Child Find efforts to identify students with disabilities ages 0-22 who may require special education, including those who attend private schools within the districts’ boundaries
- Provide regionalized professional development
- Coordinate services to infants with disabilities ages 0-2 with Valley Mountain Regional Center (VMRC)
- Host a Community Advisory Committee to provide input on special education issues to the SELPA and member districts
- Support small districts to locate and provide special education services
- Serve as liaison between districts and the state in matters of special education