Adapted Physical Education (APE)
Adapted Physical Education Specialists provide individualized physical education instruction or services to children, youth, or adults with exceptional physical needs due to gross motor developmental delays or other impairments. They also provide adapted physical education services to students with intellectual disabilities, autism, traumatic brain injury, orthopedic impairments, or other disabling condition.
Other tasks include:
- Adapt instructional techniques to the age and skill levels of students.
- Instruct students using adapted physical education techniques to improve physical fitness, gross motor skills, perceptual motor skills, or sports and game achievement.
- Maintain thorough student records to document attendance, participation, or progress, ensuring the confidentiality of all records.
- Assist in screening or placement of students in adapted physical education programs.
- Provide students positive feedback to encourage them and help them develop an appreciation for physical education.
- Assess students’ physical progress or needs.